The Cotten's (Props to Kelsey Call Photography)

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Santa Spoiler Alert

If you still believe in Santa, do not continue reading this entry! It was a sad evening this evening as we felt we had to disclose to our oldest, Candyce (8 - nearly 9), that indeed, Santa is not real. Unlike her parents sad reaction in their youth, Candyce merely shouted, "I knew it!" LOL Candyce was receiving mixed messages from her peers at school, and was bringing her angst home. I think Candyce is too smart for her own good. Her follow up question was about the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy (she caught us pretty good on the Tooth Fairy when she placed her tooth under her pillow and Mom and Dad forgot....busted!). It was neat to see her get excited about being able to "help" Mommy and Daddy Santa. We tried to hype Santa as an "idea," or "excitement," about the thought of giving and going to bed with anticpation that there would be many more gifts under the tree and goodies in the stockings. Good luck to all those who face this challenge! This is yet another sign that we are aging and doing so at a much too rapid pace. Ryan

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Santa has always been just a Christmas story in our family...nothing more. Jaren didn't grow up believing in Santa (his parents created it that way) and neither have our kiddos. Course, it's a huge issue when all their friends believe there is a Santa. However, I've noticed that my boys WANT to believe...

Aidan's already figured out who the Tooth Fairy is. And when he told me who it was I asked, "So, now that you know, can I stop giving you money for your tooth?" Got a very loud NO to that question.

DNAgallows said...

My kiddos are just getting over the fear of the guy. We will see how long we last. My planning ahead and a tiny apartment make it difficult to hide Santa. I don't suppose a threat to stay out of Mommy and Daddy's room until after Christmas gives it away.

I don't remember how old I was, but I remember being suspicious of Santa's handwriting. Mom held me out for a while as she said she was Santa's helper. Then the obvious was when things in our shopping cart were in our stockings or from Santa...hmmm, I guess they didn't want to tell us themselves. Thank goodness it wasn't a big bearded man leaving panties for me under the tree!